For members


How much does it cost to renew your residency permit in Switzerland?

If you are a foreign national living in Switzerland, your work/residence permit is an important document as it entitles you to stay and work in the country. This is what you should know about the cost of renewing it when it expires.

A Swiss flag
Photo by Fabrice COFFRINI / AFP

Depending on the kind of permit you have, it may have to be renewed each year or only after five years of residency.

In either case, you should be aware of the deadlines and procedures for extension, but the process is fairly simple.

Typically, you will receive a letter from local authorities approximately six weeks before the deadline reminding you to renew. There will also be an application form that you will need to fill out.

It must be submitted to your commune of residence (or canton in Geneva) no earlier than three months and no later than two weeks prior to the expiration date.

You will need to present your residence permit and passport, which must remain valid for at least three months after the date of the permit’s expiration.

The cost of renewal varies from one commune to another and is determined by the kind of permit you have.

READ ALSO: How easy is it to get permanent residency in Switzerland?

So, how much will it cost you to get and renew a Swiss residency permit?

According to the State Secretariat for Migration, for EU/EFTA nationals and workers who are posted by a company based in an EU/EFTA country, the maximum fee for issuing and renewing a residence permit (category L, B, Ci and G) is 65 francs. This fee includes the photograph, signature and production of the permit.

For single people under the age of 18, the maximum fee for a change of address is 20 francs, and 30 francs for all other services. This maximum fee also applies to C permits.

For Ci permits specifically, the fees for the non-biometric residence permit and for capturing the photo and signature come to 10 and 15 francs, respectively.

After five years of uninterrupted employment as a cross-border commuter, third-country nationals no longer require a permit to change jobs or professions, but have to notify authorities all the same.

In this case, the fee corresponds to the fee for a change in Switzerland’s Central migration information system (ZEMIS) whether or not you need to order a new permit card, and the authority can let you know how much this costs. 

In Switzerland, there is no legal basis for charging fees for N and S permits. Fees can only be charged for the extension of F permits (provisionally admitted foreigners).

However, the State Secretariat for Migration recommends that municipalities and cantons do not charge any fees if the person concerned is receiving social assistance.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


Can you lose your Swiss citizenship if you’ve never lived in Switzerland?

Obviously, most Swiss nationals reside in Switzerland, and are citizens either through birth or naturalisation. But what happens to those who have never lived here at all?

Can you lose your Swiss citizenship if you've never lived in Switzerland?

The only scenario where a Swiss citizen who has never lived in Switzerland could lose his or her nationality is if they were born abroad.

Just for information, about 800,000 Swiss citizens currently live outside of Switzerland; of those 75 percent are dual nationals, which means they have a Swiss passport in addition to another one, most likely of the country where they reside.

The government refers to these people either as ‘fifth Switzerland’ (an addition to the country’s four linguistic regions) or as ‘the 27th canton.”

What happens when they have a child while living abroad?

According to the Swiss Citizenship Act (SCA), a child born in another country to Swiss parents (or at least one parent) is a Swiss citizen from birth. 

If a woman is a foreigner and not married to the child’s Swiss father, the child will get the citizenship as well, as long as the father legally establishes his paternity (for instance, through a DNA test).

This is called ‘citizenship through descent.’

READ ALSO: Can I obtain Swiss citizenship through ancestry? 

A similar system is also in place for Swiss parents who adapt a baby abroad  — he or she will be Swiss as well, as long as the child was under the age of 18 when adopted.

Assuming all these children never live in Switzerland, can they maintain their citizenship?
It depends.

They are automatically Swiss at birth but, unlike kids born in Switzerland, retaining their citizenship is conditional.

Under Swiss law, “a child born abroad who has another citizenship and at least one of whose parents is Swiss loses their Swiss citizenship upon reaching the age of 25 unless a Swiss authority abroad or in Switzerland is notified of their birth by their 25th birthday or if they have declared in writing that they wish to retain Swiss citizenship”.

What this means is that Swiss parents should notify Switzerland’s embassy or consulate in their country of residence of the birth of their child to ensure the child’s citizenship is not revoked after they turn 25.

Again, this applies only in case the child never comes to live in Switzerland — either as child or adult.

Is this step irrevocable?

Say you suddenly wake up when you are 25 and realise Swiss authorities had never been notified of your existence in another country.

According to State Secretariat for Migration (SEM), to have your citizenship reinstated you must:

  • Be successfully integrated if you live in Switzerland;
  • Have close ties with Switzerland if you live abroad;
  • Show respect for public security and order;
  • Show respect for the values enshrined in the Federal Constitution; and
  • Not pose a threat to Switzerland’s internal or external security.

If you lost your Swiss citizenship less than 10 years ago, you can apply for reinstatement irrespective of whether you live abroad or in Switzerland.

On expiry of this 10-year period, however, you may only apply for reinstatement of citizenship if you have been living continuously in Switzerland for at least three years with the intention of remaining here permanently.