SHARE
COPY LINK

PARIS

Rare parachute jump over Paris the prize for hard-working trio

Something unusual will take place in Paris on Wednesday evening - three prize-winning parachutists will jump from a helicopter over the 7th arrondissement, not far from the Eiffel Tower.

Rare parachute jump over Paris the prize for hard-working trio
If you go down to the Eiffel Tower in Paris tonight.... (Photo by Thomas SAMSON / AFP)

Flights below 2,000m over the capital have been outlawed since 1948, which means that this stunt required special permission from the préfecture de police de Paris.

The parachute drop is part of an awards ceremony at the École Militaire.

In a press release, the prefecture said that “on the occasion of the award ceremony of the Armed Forces Youth Prize, at the École Militaire in Paris and at the request of the Ministry of the Armed Forces, a specialised company will fly over the area and proceed to a drop of three parachutists.”

The overflight operation will be carried out by a twin-engine helicopter and is scheduled to last 1 hour and 45 minutes, between 7.30pm and 9.15pm. 

“In order to drop the parachutists over the École Militaire site, the aircraft will climb to a maximum altitude of 1,493 m in a working area located between the Île aux Cygnes, the National Assembly, the Necker hospital and the Blomet swimming pool,” the prefecture’s statement said.

The parachute jump prize is a special award for an action undertaken between a military and civilian organisation such a school, local community or an association. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Man shot dead by police after knifing officer in Paris

A man has died after being shot by police when he injured a Paris officer with a knife, the state prosecution service said.

Man shot dead by police after knifing officer in Paris

Police said a terrorist motive was not suspected, but the violence added to tensions as Paris prepares to host the Games from July 26th.

Police shot the man after he wounded an officer near the Champs-Elysées avenue on Thursday evening, police sources told AFP.

Paris police chief Laurent Nunez said staff at a Louis Vuitton boutique had reported the man to be armed with a knife and had asked officers to intervene.

He said the man resisted and tried to flee, turning on the officers when they caught up with him and wounding one with the knife.

Nunez told reporters the officer was seriously injured to the neck but his life was not in danger.

He said there was no known “terrorist motive at this stage, and no link to the Olympic Games”.

A source in the préfecture said the attacker was a Senegalese national and was previously known to police.

A source in the prosecutors’ office later told AFP the man had died and added that a criminal investigation had been launched into the attack on the officer.

Near the scene of the attack, a bomb disposal truck and several police trucks were parked, an AFP journalist saw. Crime-scene tape encircled the entire area.

France is on high alert ahead of the Games with a huge security operation in the city centre ahead of next Friday’s opening ceremony.

On Wednesday evening, a motorist ploughed a car into a café terrace in northern Paris, killing one person and seriously injuring several others.

Prosecutors said the driver was committed for psychiatric treatment.

Manual widget for ML (class=”ml-manual-widget-container”)

On Monday, a soldier was stabbed in the back by a 40-year-old man at a major train station in northern Paris.

Officials said the soldier’s life was not in danger.

Thousands of security personnel locked down a six-kilometre stretch of central Paris on Thursday ahead of the Olympics opening ceremony.

Officials say 35,000 police officers and 18,000 soldiers will provide security for the Games.

More than 300,000 spectators are expected to watch the opening ceremony along the banks of the Seine.

It will be the first time a Summer Olympics has opened with a ceremony outside the main athletics stadium.

National anti-terrorism prosecutor Olivier Christen on Tuesday said the Games “are not the subject of specific targeting by international terrorist organisations”.

Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin said on Wednesday there was “no credible threat” against the Games at this stage.

SHOW COMMENTS