SHARE
COPY LINK

OSLO

Norway’s Royal Palace to reopen to the public 

The Norwegian Royal Palace will once again be open to visitors after closing its doors to the public for two years due to the pandemic, the palace announced Friday. 

Norway's royal palace.
Norway's royal palace, pictured above, will reopen to the palace in June.

After two years of pandemic closures, the Royal Palace in Oslo will reopen to the public and allow visitors to take tours. The tours will recommence from June 25th. 

The public will be able to take a tour which will go through some of the palace’s most important rooms- such as the Council Chamber, the ballroom, the dining hall and the King Haakon Suite. 

READ MORE: 

The tour will also feature the White Salon, which was restored last year to resemble how it looked when the palace was first built in 1849. 

Tours will be available from mid-August. Tickets start from 175 kroner per person.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

OSLO

Norwegian official and wife receive death threats after walrus euthanasia

The director of Norway’s fisheries agency and his wife, who does not work for the agency, have received death threats from across the world following a decision to euthanise a walrus that took up residence in Oslo harbour.

Norwegian official and wife receive death threats after walrus euthanasia

The walrus, nicknamed Freya, attracted crowds while basking in the Oslo fjord this summer but was euthanised on Sunday.

Officials said it was the only option after determining they could not “guarantee the wellbeing of the animal”.

Experts criticised an “infinitely sad” decision, however.

READ ALSO: Walrus that attracted crowds in Oslo fjord euthanised

The head of the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries, Frank Bakke-Jensen, received death threats from Norway and all over the world on Monday after the decision to put down the walrus was reported, broadcaster NRK reported.

Bakke-Jensen’s wife, Hilde Sjurelv, was also the target of threats according to the report.

“It’s completely fine not to agree, but making death threats is going too far. That’s going too far,” Sjurelv told NRK.

Sjurelv has received abuse based on both who she is and her appearance but cited the death threats as the worst of the messages. Several of the messages have been seen by NRK, the broadcaster writes.

“I was shaken and scared when unpleasant messages and comments began pouring in on my phone,” Sjurelv said.

“This is about an issue I have nothing to do with, apart from being married to Frank,” she said.

“I think many people from different countries can express their view but they should limit it to disagreeing and not make direct death threats,” she said.

She has now made her Facebook profile private, she said.

Bakke-Jensen said he would report the threats to police.

“I have no problem receiving complaints or objections about my job to me personally. But I think it’s way over the line to contact my family. But that has unfortunately become part of everyday life,” he told NRK.

“My own safety is taken care of, so I’m not too concerned about that. This is an issue that has been very emotive and that can set off a lot of irrational forces, so we get examples like this,” he said.

The director of the Fisheries agency said he did not think he or his wife would be in need of added security.

“I will do as I have done before, save and send on to the police, and their experts will assess it,” he said.

SHOW COMMENTS