On Tuesday March 5th The Local Denmark and the Local Switzerland followed in the footsteps of our sites in Sweden, Germany, France, Spain and Italy by introducing Membership.
So from now on regular readers of those sites are being asked to pay a small contribution which will grant them access to all the news and essential features from Switzerland and Denmark.
Membership has proved a success so far for The Local with almost 10,000 regular readers signing up to our sites across Europe, including almost 3,000 for each of our sites in Sweden and France.
While we haven't yet convinced all our readers to join, the feedback we receive from members is overwhelmingly positive. A growing number are placing their trust in us by signing up for “Lifetime Membership”.
Members appreciate the work we put it to explain the crucial news stories in each country and how they impact internationals living there as well as the advice we give them on how to navigate their lives in their adopted homes.
They appreciate the benefits of Membership, which include:
- Access to an unlimited number of news and features articles on the site
- Exclusive features just for Members on all kinds of subjects to help explain Denmark and life in the country
- Improved coverage – with a freelance budget we aim to improve our coverage and get more voices on the site
- As a Member you'll be able to comment on all articles from now on
- Fewer adverts – as a Member you'll see less advertising on our articles
- Unlimited access to all The Local's other news sites around Europe
- Special newsletters just for members
Our primary aim is to continue to grow amid an increasingly tough media landscape, and contributions from Members will help us not have to rely on advertising revenue in future. That will help us improve what we write about and make us more accountable to readers rather than advertisers.