SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Danish Pokémon corpse named as violent killer

The human corpse discovered last week by a Danish Pokémon hunter has been identified as a criminal convicted of attempted murder.

Danish Pokémon corpse named as violent killer
Danish Pokémon Go players in Copenhagen. Photo: Emil Hougaard/Scanpix
Forty-one-year-old Simon Bolt Brinkmann disappeared in May under suspicious circumstances in the same area outside Odense, on the Danish island of Funen, where the body was found in a ditch on July 20. 
 
His body was so badly decomposed that Brinkmann could only be identified by his teeth. 
 
“There is no immediate evidence to suggest that there is a crime behind his death, and that’s all I can say about it,” Andreas Bruun from the local Funen police told Denmark’s Ekstra Bladet newspaper. 
 
Pokémon Go, a location-based augmented reality game, has been a huge global phenomenon since it was introduced earlier this month, with Denmark no exception. 
 
The game has sent players roaming around little frequented areas hunting cartoon animals around the real world with their phones.  A woman in the American state of Wyoming found a corpse in a river while hunting down the virtual monsters. 
 
The game has also brought unexpected dangers, with a Danish 21-year-old on Thursday killed by a delivery van near Aarhus while apparently playing the game. Police said in a press release that they had found the app still running on the man’s phone when they arrived at the scene. 
 
“When we arrived at the scene of the accident, we found his phone unlocked with the Pokémon app running. We cannot know for certain whether he was playing the game at the time of the accident, however,” Jørn Kristen Nielsen from the local Himmerland police told TV2. 
 
Police districts across Denmark had been deluged with calls from concerned citizens panicked by intruders who later turned out to be Pokémon players. 
 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Denmark jails IS ‘wife’ for three years

A 35-year-old Danish woman was sentenced on Friday to three years in prison for entering Syria and promoting the Islamic State (IS) group's activities, prosecutors in Denmark said.

Denmark jails IS 'wife' for three years

During the mother of five’s trial, the prosecutor had argued that wives were a key part of IS.

“Even if you did not actively participate in the fighting, we assert that you can support the terrorist organisation by shopping in its supermarkets, by taking care of the children, by being a housewife,” prosecutor Trine Schjodt
Fogh said.

The woman, who pleaded guilty, was convicted of “having promoted the activities of IS, in particular by acting as the housewife and wife of a person who was active in the terrorist organisation,” the prosecution authority said in a statement.

She was also found guilty of having “entered and resided in al-Raqqa district in Raqqa province and Deir al-Zour province in Syria, which were defined as conflict zones during the period”.

The  woman, who is originally from the west of Denmark, arrived in Syria eight years ago, a journey she “bitterly” regrets, her lawyer Mette Gith Stage told news agency Ritzau.

“The last few years have been difficult for her, first in the caliphate, then in a prison camp and now in prison. She misses her children terribly and is eager for the case to end so that she and her children can move on,” the
lawyer said.

In October 2021, Denmark removed three women and 14 children from the Kurdish-controlled Roj camp in north-eastern Syria in a joint operation with Germany.

The three women were arrested on arrival in Denmark and have since been in detention and the trial that just ended marks the first of three.

SHOW COMMENTS