18 Germans were on blazing ferry

UPDATE: Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said only crew remain on board a ferry that caught fire in the Adriatic Sea. Rescuers battled stormy conditions, including hail, to rescue hundreds of passengers, though at least seven are known to have died in the incident. There were 18 Germans on board, it was reported on Monday.

18 Germans were on blazing ferry
Photo: DPA
Ships and helicopters fought choppy seas, strong winds and billowing clouds of smoke through the night in a race to help hundreds of passengers aboard the "Norman Atlantic".
There is no word yet on whether the German passengers were among those rescued during the 36-hour operation to evactuate everyone onboard.
A 67-year-old man died when he tripped and slipped into the water while trying to get into a rescue boat. A Greek minister confirmed four bodies were removed from the boat after an eye-wtiness reported it.  
"I saw four dead people, with my own eyes, I am certain.They were in front of me," the Turkish witness told the Italian news agency Ansa
The blaze, which rescuers said was now largely contained, was said to have started on the ferry's car deck in the early hours when the vessel was some 44 nautical miles northwest of the Greek island of Corfu.
The "Norman Atlantic" left port from Patras in Greece with 478 passengers on board and was on its way to Ancona in Italy when it caugh fire shortly after the Italian-operated ferry stopped off in Corfu. 
Rescue teams from Greece, Albania and Italy are still working against the storm weather, which has seen hail and 80-kilometre wind push waves to six-metres-high. 
Waves crash over the Norman Atlantic. Photo: DPA
In desperate scenes earlier in the day, terrified passengers pleaded by mobile phone live on TV to be saved from the vessel, which was travelling from the Greek port of Patras to Ancona in Italy.
"I cannot breathe, we are all going to burn like rats – God save us," cried one of the ship's cooks in a call to his wife, she told journalists.
Alongside rescue efforts by a flotilla of ships, including nearby merchant vessels, helicopters were slowly winching passengers to safety up to seven at a time.
The stricken vessel was reportedly some 40 nautical miles from Otranto in southern Italy and 13 nautical miles from Albania's coastline.
Italian authorities have mobilised four tugs to bring the "Norman Atlantic" to Brindisi once the passengers and crew were evacuated, although it may be moved to closer-by Albania if necessary.
As darkness fell, the Italian navy said that a tugboat, the Marietta Barretta, had finally been able to attach itself to the ferry, raising hopes it could be stabilised sufficiently to accelerate the evacuation.
Greek passenger Nikos Papatheodossiou told Mega television that the towed ship was moving at a speed of around "two to three (nautical) miles per hour".
Freezing passengers huddled on the top deck and bridge of the ship told of their terror in calls to Greek television stations.
"We are on the top deck, we are soaked, we are cold and we are coughing from the smoke. There are women, children and old people," passenger Giorgos Styliaras told Mega TV.4
Another told the station that "our shoes were melting" from the heat of the fire when they were mustered in the ship's reception area.
Haulage company boss Giannis Mylonas, who was in contact with three of his drivers on the vessel, said there were between 20 and 25 tanker trucks filled with olive oil on board.
Ferry passed checks
Vessels close to the ferry, leased to Greek operator Anek Lines, rushed to give assistance after picking up its distress signal at shortly after midnignight, the Greek coast guard said. 
The Greek maritime ministry said 268 of the passengers were Greek, with the crew made up of 22 Italians and 34 Greeks.
The rest of the passengers included 54 Turks, 44 Italians, 22 Albanians, 18 Germans as well as Swiss, French, Russian, Austrian, British and Dutch nationals.
The captain of the ferry was named as 62-year-old Italian Argilio Giacomazzi.
Photo: DPA
The "Norman Atlantic" left Patras at 330pm local time on Saturday and made a stop at the Greek coastal town of Igoumenitsa, before heading to Ancona when the fire took hold.
The car deck of the Italian-flagged ferry, built in 2009, was believed to have been holding 195 vehicles when the fire broke out.
It remained unclear how the fire started.
Carlo Visentini, the chief executive of the Visenti Group which owns the boat, said the vessel underwent checks on December 19 in Patras and the minor flaws revealed had been addressed, including a problem with a fire door.
"This was immediately repaired to the satisfaction of the inspectors," he said.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.